Kantor, C. / Published 2011 / Presentation
|Video||Click here to view the full video of this presentation.|
|There are no slides for this presentation.||Presenter||Charles Kantor, Ph.D.|
|Date||October 23, 2011|
|Abstract:||The presentation will utilize the Descriptive Psychology concepts of status, community, and world to work toward an understanding of political behavior. This initial presentation will focus on the emergence of charismatic leaders, the community conditions involved in this phenomenon, and implications for our current political culture.|
|References and Related
1. Barlow, J. J. (2003) The man behind the curtain. The Review of Politics, 65, 475-
478. DOI: 10.1017/S0034670500039279.|
2. Baum, L. F. (1900). The wonderful wizard of Oz. Chicago: George M. Hill Company.
3. Bergner, R. (2007). Status dynamics: Creating new paths to therapeutic change. Ann Arbor, MI: Burns Park Publishers. 4. DeMallie, R.J. (1982). The Sioux ghost dance: An ethnohistorical account. Pacific Historical Review, 51 (4), 385-405. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press. Retrieved from http://www.jstor.org/stable/3639782.
5. Diamond, J. (2005). Collapse: How societies choose to fail or succeed. New York: Penguin Books.
6. Dow, T.E (1978). An analysis of Weber’s work on charisma. The British Journal of Sociology, 29, 83-93. London: Blackwell Publishing on behalf of The London School of Economics and Political Science. (Source: http://www. jstor.org/stable/589221)
7. Galbraith, J.H. (1982). Appeals to the supernatural: African and New Zealand comparisons with the Ghost Dance. Pacific Historical Review, 51, 115-133. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press. Retrieved from http://www. jstor.org/stable/3638526.
8. Hobsbawm, E.J. (1965). Primitive rebels: Studies in archaic forms of social movements in the 19th and 20th Centuries. New York: W.W. Norton and Co. 9. Huggins, N.I. (1987). Martin Luther King, Jr.: Charisma and leadership. The Journal of American History, 74, 477-481. Retrieved from url: http://www. jstor.org/stable/1900035.
10. Littlefield, H. M. (1964). The Wizard of Oz: Parable of populism. American Quarterly 16, 47-58. Retrieved from http://www.amphigory.com/oz.htm.
11. Logan, B. (1980). The Ghost Dance among the Paiute: An ethnohistorical view of the documentary evidence 1889-1893. Ethnohistory, 27, 267-288). Duke University Press. Retrieved from http://www.jstor.org/stable/481271.
12. McCann, Jr., F. D. (1966). The Ghost Dance, last hope of western tribes, unleashed the final tragedy. Montana: The Magazine of Western History, 16, 25-34. Retrieved from http://www.jstor.org/stable/4517018.
13. Mooney, J. (1896). The Ghost dance religion and the Sioux outbreak of 1890. In J. W. Powell, Fourteenth annual report of the Bureau of Ethnology to the secretary of the Smithsonian Institution 1892-1893, part two. Washington government printing office.
14. Ossorio, P.G. (1983). A multicultural psychology. In Davis, K.E., & Bergner, R. (Eds.), Advances in Descriptive Psychology, (Vol. 3, pp. 13-44). Greenwich, CT: JAI Press.
15. Ossorio, P.G. (2006). The behavior of persons. Ann Arbor, MI: Descriptive Psychology Press.
16. Overholt,T. W.(1974). The Ghost Dance of 1890 and the nature of the prophetic process. Ethnohistory, 21, 37-63. Retrieved from http://www.jstor.org/ stable/481129.
17. Pappas, T. S. (2006). Political charisma and liberal democracy. Retrieved from http://www.afsp.msh-paris.fr/activite/2006/colllinz06/txtlinz/pappas2.pdf
18. Pereira de Queiroz, M.I. (1965). Messiahs in Brazil. Past & Present, 31, 62-86. Retrieved by http://www.jstor.org/stable/650102.
19. Putman, A. O. (1990). Organizations. In A. O. Putman & K. E. Davis (Eds.), Advances in Descriptive Psychology (Vol. 5, pp. 11-46). Ann Arbor, MI: Descriptive Psychology Press.
20. Putman, A.O. (2010). Ordinary magic. In Davis, K.E., Lugubin, F., and Schwartz, W. (Eds.), Advances in Descriptive Psychology, ( Vol.9., pp. 9-39). Ann Arbor, MI: Descriptive Psychology Press.
21. Rapoport, D.C. (1979). Moses, charisma, and covenant. The Western Political Quarterly, 32, 123-143. Retrieved from URL: http://www.jstor.org/ stable/448172.
22. Roberts, M.K. (2010).Worlds of uncertain status. In Davis, K.E., Lugubin,F., and Schwartz, W. (Eds.), Advances in Descriptive Psychology (Vol.9., pp.287- 319). Ann Arbor, MI: Descriptive Psychology Press.
23. Schweitzer, A. (1974). Theory and political charisma. Comparative Studies in Society and History 16, 150-181. Retrieved from http://www.jstor.org/ stable/178310.
24. Scott, J. C. (2009). The art of not being governed: An anarchist history of upland Southeast Asia. New Haven and London: Yale University Press.
25. Simon, P. (1966). The sounds of silence [Recorded by Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel]. Sounds of silence [CD]. Retrieved from http://www.lyricsdepot.com/simon-garfunkel/sounds-of-silence.html
26. Taylor, Q. P. (2005). Money and politics in the land of Oz. The Independent Review, 9, 413-426. Retrieved from http://www.independent.org/publications/ tir/article.asp?a=504.
27. Wallace, A. F. C. (1956). Revitalization movements. American Anthropologist, New Series, 58, 264-281.Retrieved from http://www.jstor.org/stable/665488 .